Megyn Kelly, NBC Finalizing Exit Deal, And It's A Good One For Kelly

 Megyn Kelly on Wednesday, June 6, 2018
Nathan Congleton/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images

The negotiations between Megyn Kelly and NBC News are all but in the books, according to multiple reports, and it's working out quite nicely for the soon-to-be-former NBC host. Inside sources say that Kelly will be walking away with the full value of her original $69 million contract, which means she will receive the full $30 million left on her three-year deal.

Citing sources "familiar with the matter," The Wall Street Journal reports that Kelly, a little less than halfway through her deal, is expected to part ways with Comcast Corp.’s NBC News "with more than $30 million — the full value left on the three-year, $69 million contract with the network."

One of the Journal's sources says her official exit may come as early as next week. The two sides have been reportedly haggling over largely "nonfinancial" issues, the source says, including her deal's noncompete and nondisclosure clauses.

Page Six's sources have confirmed that Kelly will be receiving the full $30 million payout, one source stressing that it won't be official until next week, at the earliest. "It's taking slightly longer than expected, the paperwork is going back and forth," the source told Page Six.

Another source told the outlet that both sides want the whole ordeal behind them. "Everyone wants this to be over — both Megyn and NBC — and Comcast has the money to pay off Megyn," the source said. "We thought this would be a done deal a few weeks ago."

A "senior TV source" told Page Six that NBC simply did not want to prolong the process by haggling, so has agreed to pay her the full amount of her contract.

"NBC decided rather than fight and face a lawsuit from her, they — and more importantly, Comcast with all its money — decided to draw a line under the entire debacle and pay Megyn the full amount owed in her contract to go away," said the source.

The source went on to predict that this won't be the end of Kelly's career, saying, "in the Trump era, there are few broadcasters like her," and suggesting she'll likely take a break then make a comeback ahead of the next election.

The abrupt breakup between Kelly and NBC was spurred by her comments about what is or isn't appropriate to wear for Halloween ahead of the holiday. Kelly pushed back on the idea that changing one's skin tone to portray a famous figure of a different race was necessarily racist, comments made in the context of paying tribute to the figure. Citing criticism of "Real Housewives of New York" star Luann de Lesseps for darkening her skin to dress as Diana Ross, Kelly said, "And people said that that was racist. And I don’t know! I thought like, who doesn’t love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day, and I don’t know how that got racist on Halloween."

Critics, including several media outlets, characterized the comments as a "defense" of the racist practice of "blackface," which Kelly stressed was not her intention in an emotional apology the next day.

Kelly's apology was not enough for network executive Andy Lack, whose relationship with Kelly had already reportedly soured.

Related: Megyn Kelly Breaks Silence, Slams Out Of Control Media: 'Videotaped My 7-Yr-Old Child'

What's Your Reaction?