On Wednesday, movie producer Harvey Weinstein, 66, was indicted on charges of rape and a criminal sexual act, according to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance.
Vance released this statement:
A Grand Jury has voted to indict Harvey Weinstein on charges of Rape in the First and Third Degrees, and Criminal Sexual Act in the First Degree. This indictment brings the defendant another step closer to accountability for the crimes of violence with which he is now charged. Our office will try this case not in the press, but in the courtroom where it belongs. The defendant’s recent assault on the integrity of the survivors and the legal process is predictable. We are confident that when the jury hears the evidence, it will reject these attacks out of hand. I thank the heroic survivors for their strength throughout this process. I also thank Commissioner James O’Neill and members of the New York City Police Department for their dedication to this case. This investigation remains active and ongoing. We continue to urge additional survivors and others with relevant information to call us at 212-335-9373.
Weinstein, the co-founder of the Miramax film studio and the Weinstein Company, had been arrested last Friday and was freed on $1 million cash bail ordered by a judge; roughly 70 women have accused Weinstein of one form or another of sexual misconduct.
Ben Brafman, head of Weinstein’s legal team, said Weinstein would plead not guilty; Weinstein could serve between five and 25 years in prison. Brafman stated, “Mr. Weinstein intends to enter a plea of not guilty and vigorously defend against these unsupported allegations that he strongly denies. We will soon formally move to dismiss the indictment and if this case actually proceeds to trial, we expect Mr. Weinstein to be acquitted.”
The indictment stems from accusations from two women; police said the alleged crimes occurred in 2004 and 2013.