Police records unsealed on Tuesday revealed the identity of an additional person of interest in the investigation into the Las Vegas massacre, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.
The second person of interest, Douglas Haig, was identified in the nearly 300 pages of unsealed search warrant records. The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports:
“Until the investigation can rule otherwise, Marilou Danley and Douglas Haig have become persons of interest who may have conspired with Stephen Paddock to commit Murder with a Deadly Weapon,” according to the Metropolitan Police Department document, which was prepared in October.
Danley was Paddock’s girlfriend and initially was named as a person of interest in the investigation. Haig, whose name had not been previously released, could not be reached for immediate comment Tuesday.
News that a second person of interest existed in the case initially broke earlier this month when a lawyer for the Las Vegas Metro Police argued in court that police search-warrant records needed to be kept sealed because new criminal charges could be forthcoming against other persons of interest.
Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said that he could not comment on a federal case and told the Review-Journal, “If you’ve got it, publish it.”
“I know and believe there was only one suspect who killed 58 people and injured hundreds more,” Lombardo said earlier this month. “All the evidence recovered in this case supports that theory. There was one shooter in the 1 October massacre. There was only one person responsible, and that was Stephen Paddock.”
Eric Paddock, Paddock’s brother, said “I've never heard of the guy,” referring to Douglas Haig.
A separate report from the Las Vegas Review-Journal revealed the following statistics from the FBI's investigation:
- 400 specialists brought in
- 1500 leads followed locally, 500 worldwide
- 40 terabytes of data collected
- 22,000 hours of video collected
- 250,000 images collected
- 14 days to comb through the 15-acre festival site
- 13 days to collect evidence inside Mandalay Bay
- 12 federal search warrants filed
- 500 grand jury subpoenas issued
FBI Special Agent in Charge Aaron Rouse said in December that U.S. officials have interviewed more than 400 people worldwide to learn "as much as we possibly can about why the subject did what they did."