Federal law enforcement officials arrested a 19-year-old Michigan man on Monday after he allegedly called CNN multiple times threatening to kill their employees for being fake news.
Brandon Griesemer allegedly called CNN 22 times earlier this month and threatened multiple times to gun down all the employees at CNN in what supposedly began over "claims of 'fake news,'" CBS Atlanta reported.
According to court documents, Griesemer made the following comments to a CNN operator:
- "Fake news. I'm coming to gun you all down."
- "I'm smarter than you. More powerful than you. I have more guns than you. More manpower. Your cast is about to get gunned down in a matter of hours."
- "I am coming to Georgia right now to go to the CNN headquarters to f---ing gun every single last one of you."
- "I am on my way right now to gun the f***in' CNN cast down. F*** you."
- "F*** you I am coming to kill you."
- "I have a team of people. It's going to be great, man... You gotta get prepared for this one, buddy."
Investigators were able to trace the call and arrested Griesemer, who has a history of making these types of phone calls, before he did anything.
Griesemer, who lives with his parents, was released from prison on $10,000 bond by U.S. Magistrate Judge Anthony P. Patti. As part of his release, Griesemer is not allowed to contact CNN, possess weapons, or travel outside of the U.S. Eastern District of Michigan.
"You're not going to committing any illegal activity while you're on bond, so don't be making any threats to anybody," Patti told Griesemer. "Understand?
"Yeah," Griesemer replied.
Many news organizations instantly seized the opportunity to attack President Trump over this story, despite the fact that Trump is not mentioned anywhere in any of the court documents and Griesemer has yet to even mention his name.
CNN issued the following statement in response to the statement:
We take any threats to CNN employees or workplaces, around the world, extremely seriously. This one is no exception. We have been in touch with local and federal law enforcement throughout, and have taken all necessary measures to ensure the safety of our people.