Backlash continued to grow against Democrat Rep. Maxine Waters (CA) on Sunday over remarks that she made late Saturday night where she encouraged activists to “get more confrontational” on “the street” if Derek Chauvin is not convicted of murdering George Floyd.
“We’re looking for a guilty verdict. We’re looking for a guilty verdict. And we’re looking to see if all of this [inaudible] that took place and has been taking place after they saw what happened to George Floyd,” Waters said. “If nothing does not happen, then we know that we’ve got to not only stay in the street, but we’ve got to fight for justice, but I am very hopeful and I hope that we’re going to get a verdict that will say guilty, guilty, guilty. And if we don’t, we cannot go away.”
When asked about what activists should do if Chauvin is not convicted, Waters said that they must “stay on the street.”
“And we’ve got to get more active. [We’ve] got to get more confrontational,” she said. “[We’ve] got to make sure that they know we mean business.”
In 2018, Waters called for the harassment of Trump administration officials, saying in part at a toy drive:
And so, let’s stay the course. Let’s make sure we show up wherever we have to show up and if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them, and you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.
The New York Post Editorial Board said that Waters was “trying to create a Civil War” and that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) “should strip her of her committee assignments and move for a vote to remove Waters from office.”
Notable elected officials and political commentators also slammed Waters over her remarks:
- Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX): “Democrats actively encouraging riots & violence. They want to tear us apart.” “‘We gotta stay on the street,’ Waters was recorded saying, adding that protesters needed ‘to get more confrontational’ & they should ignore the curfew in place.”
- Matt Walsh, podcast host: “Maxine Waters is trying to intimidate a jury to influence the outcome of a murder trial. Every elected Republican in the country should be calling for her immediate arrest and removal from congress.”
- Steven Crowder, podcast host: “If Trump was removed from Twitter AND Facebook for ‘inciting violence’ then Maxine Waters needs to be federally charged and impeached.”
- Bryan Dean Wright, Democrat and former CIA officer: “Maxine Waters is a threat to the Republic.”
- Gerry Callahan, podcast host: “Donald Trump was impeached and banned from all social media platforms for less.”
- Kurt Schlichter, attorney and columnist: “This is an insurrection.”
- Tim Pool, podcast host: “Maxine Waters says that Chauvin premeditated the murder of George Floyd and that if Chauvin is not convicted [of] a crime he wasn’t charged with they should get ‘more confrontational[.]’ More confrontational than burning down buildings?”
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.