According to a new CBS poll, only one in seven Democrats believe that Islam is more violent than Christianity. In sharp contrast, six in ten Republicans believe that Islam is more violent.
So, are Democrats delusional? The short answer is yes.
It’s quite frankly absurd that this has become a topic of debate. Any human being capable of common sense should be able to discern the stark difference between the two monotheistic faiths.
Here are 7 facts disproving this stupidity:
1. Islamic countries and Muslim-majority countries are far more violent and intolerant than any of the two Christian countries on earth or better yet, any of the Christian-majority countries. Liberals love to point out the difference between Islamic theocratic states, where Sharia law is institutionalized (see: Saudi Arabia, Iran) and semi-Islamic countries with Muslim majorities (see: Turkey, Indonesia). But both models are objectively horrible places to live, despite what cultural relativists and overzealous sociology professors may say. There’s a reason why hordes of Muslim refugees are trying to pour into the West. In Syria, for example, religious sectarian warfare has left nothing but pools of blood. Syria is no longer a functioning state. In Iran, where Shia Islam reigns supreme, religious minorities are purged, women are treated as second class citizens, and homosexuals are hung from cranes. In Saudi Arabia, women aren’t allowed to drive or leave the house without a male guardian.
2. Islamic religious apologists are selectively blind to the macabre history of Islam. As The Daily Wire reported, academic, historical, and scriptural accounts of the religion’s development all attest to the fact that Islam was indeed founded upon tribal schisms and bloodshed. The primary driver of violence in the Middle East today is Sunni-Shiite sectarian violence, a conflict stemming from the early days of Islam when warring factions quarreled over the rules of succession following the death of Muhammed.
As Leftist apologists are quick to point out, ISIS’s main victims are other Muslims. What they deliberately leave out, however, is the fact that ISIS is a Sunni-Salafist organization that targets non-Sunnis, including Shiites, Yazidis, Kurds, apostates, and anyone else they consider outside the framework of Muhammad’s carefully-articulated framework of Islamic piety. Indeed, ISIS’s assaults are highly-calculated and vindictive, attacking targets that have sought out revenge against Sunnis in the past, like Iraqi Shiites, or Westerners that have dared to question or criticize Muhammad.
3. A far larger percentage of Muslims are biblical literalists compared to Christians. Reading a 7th century text literally is profoundly dangerous.
According the a recent Pew Research Center poll highlighted in The Daily Caller, a significant proportion of Arab Muslims endorse sharia law as the ideal legal code for society and favor harsh punishments for non-believers that violate the tenets of Islam:
86 percent of Muslims in Pakistan, 84 percent in Afghanistan, 81 percent in the Palestinian territories, 80 percent in Egypt, 65 percent in Jordan, 57 percent in Iraq and 54 percent in Malaysia and Bangladesh favor stoning as a lethal punishment for adultery. A majority of Muslims in several countries also support the death penalty for Muslims who convert away from Islam, including in Afghanistan (79 percent), Egypt (88 percent), Pakistan (75 percent), the Palestinian territories (62 percent), Jordan (83 percent) and Malaysia (58 percent).
4. Currently, Islam treats Jews far worse than Christianity does. How a majority religion treats the Jews is a litmus test for its level of civility. Without a doubt, Christianity has a sordid past, especially when it comes to the way Christendom treated its minority Jewish population. From the Crusades to the Spanish inquisition, Christian majority states and Christian religious authorities, including those residing in the Vatican, have issued edict after edict condemning Jews to burn at the stake. The Jews were blamed for the death of Christ, deicide, a charge that led to the mass murder of the Jewish people, generation after generation, centuries after the time of Christ. While history can never be erased, it’s important to acknowledge the fact that Christianity, as an institution and faith, has made tremendous progress since the medieval era. The rise of nation states, made possible by the Enlightenment’s light of rationalism and the Reformation’s challenge to the rigid ecclesiastical order, has opened the gateway to new modes of thinking that respect the rights of religious minorities while still preserving the rituals and traditions of the past. Islam, on the other hand, still hasn’t addressed its “Jewish problem” without the sword. Imams and mullahs across the Islamic world continue to call for the blood of the Jews. The Jewish people’s rejection of the Prophet Muhammad still haunts the Muslim world’s collective memory, offering an excuse for genocidal rhetoric (see: Hamas).
According to the latest Pew Research Center polls, the majority of anti-Semitic attacks directed against Jews are initiated by members of the Muslim immigrant population. This is unsurprising given the culture of rampant anti-Semitism in the Arab world, particularly in Palestinian territories. “While European views towards Jews have become more negative, the deepest anti-Jewish sentiments exist outside of Europe, especially in predominantly Muslim nations. The percentage of Turks, Egyptians, Jordanians, Lebanese and Pakistanis with favorable opinions of Jews is in the single digits,” documents Pew.
5. When Jesus is mocked, Christians take to social media. When Muhammad is drawn, even in the gentlest light, Muslims burn down embassies and slaughter cartoonists in cold blood. The counterculture revolution in the United States openly embraced the use of satirical attacks against Jesus, the Saints, and Christianity writ-large. From menstruating Jesus to fat, slob Jesus, satirists haven’t even attempted to spare the feelings of Christians. The same cannot be said of Muslims. Take the Charlie Hebdo massacre. When the French satirical publication (which by the way routinely mocks Judaism and Christianity) published a cartoon of Muhammad, the workers were savagely killed by Islamic terrorists who were apparently carrying out the will of Allah. Adding insult to injury, secular, Western publications refused to air images of the cartoon for fear of reprisal. The Muslim world seems to think it’s entitled to special treatment. It seems to think that Muhammad, its holy texts, its rituals are beyond reproach and criticism. No other religion in the modern world guards its image with this level of zeal, fanaticism, and violence.
6. The world is being torn apart by Islamic terrorists. There’s a handful of powerless KKK members in the United States who purport to be defending Christianity. This analogy shouldn’t even be made, but it’s the Left’s favorite one. So the for sake of argument, let’s break it down. In Syria alone, there are dozens and dozens of Islamic terrorist groups eager to carve out Sharia-observing territories. Al Qaeda, ISIS, Hamas, and Hezbollah have become household names all throughout the world. The harsh reality is that these groups are functioning on the basis of the hadiths and the Qu’ran. There’s a reason why ISIS spares boys under 12, enslaves women, and slaughters the men. That’s what the early armies of Muhammad did to the Jewish tribe of the Banu Qurayza. ISIS, in particular, cites Quranic scripture at every turn, follows the prescriptions of the hadiths meticulously, and encourages absolute devotion to Allah, promising its fighters paradise and virgins when they die glorious deaths as martyrs. Then there’s the KKK, a White supremacist group that burns crosses. First of all, the KKK hardly has power in the 21st century. They’re more of a bogeyman, weaponized by the Left to demonize conservatives. More importantly, this group is hardly Christian. Jesus, both as a historical figure and biblical figure, was largely powerless from a political perspective. He didn’t command an army the same way Muhammad did. He didn’t conquer territory. He didn’t kill people for refusing to convert. He didn’t engage in diplomacy or war. So what model are the members of the KKK following? Which Jesus do they cite when they carry out their atrocities? Bottom line: the KKK’s actions are hardly guided by principles or verses written in Christian holy texts. They are a racial group. Its members wear large crosses without even attempting to understand theology.
7. Islam hasn’t had a reformation. Christianity has. As stated above, both the Enlightenment and the Reformation, led by Martin Luther, fundamentally altered the way Christians interacted with their faith. For the most part, Christianity is not seen as a political ideology. The concept of separation of church and state underpins the modern West. While the medieval era placed religion front and center in the public square, today’s Christianity is largely practiced in private. Islam, on the hand, still continues to be a public faith. No major school of Islamic theology has worked to separate the private from the public. Islam, according to the ulama, is a totalitarian ideology. It commands all aspects of life, including governance, sex, economics, and dietary practices. While there have been fringe movements (see: Sufis) which have attempted to privilege the spiritual over the political, the majority of Muslims, particularly the clerical class, have rejected any attempt at reform. In fact, the ulema have weaponized the concept of apostasy to prevent people from leaving the faith or even exploring non-literalist intrepretations of religious text. The ulama believes that the Quran is infallible and inerrant. To change even a single letter would be to change the literal word of Allah. This commitment to the untouchable sacredness of the text makes reform extremely difficult.