The Florida school shooting on Wednesday was a horrific massacre in which at least 17 people were murdered. In any ideal world, the number of students injured or murdered in school shootings should be zero, but because of the terrible number of students killed in the Wednesday massacre, it would be easy to assume, from the postures of some who have reacted to the tragedy, that great numbers of students and children have been killed in incessant school shootings. That isn’t the case.
As information compiled by Michael Medved producer Greg Tomlin shows, in the years 2016 and 2017, at K-12 schools in America, of the 51 million students enrolled, there were seven children killed. That is seven human lives snuffed out, and the agony of the families who suffered the loss is incalculable, but seven is far less than one would suppose from the media coverage, which has misleadingly claimed that there were 18 school shootings in January alone.
Three students were killed in 2016; four in 2017, as totaled from the website EveryTownResearch.org.
One example of how facts get skewed: in one instance, a shooting was deemed a “school shooting” because a person who lived near a school went on a rampage and shot five people in the neighborhood. The school was placed on lockdown, but no student was killed, yet it is still listed as a “school shooting.”
Below is the relevant list, with accounts of each shooting compiled from Wikipedia (formatting adjusted):
- January 22, 2016 – Indianapolis, Indiana (Injuries 1) A 15-year-old male was shot in the leg and injured during a night-time basketball game at Lawrence Central High School.
- January 29, 2016 – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Deaths/Injuries 0) A gunshot was fired during a fight in a stairwell at Franklin High School, and no injuries were reported. Three people were detained.
- February 9, 2016 – Muskegon Heights, Michigan (Injuries 4) Four people, including two students, were injured during a basketball game event in the parking lot of Muskegon Heights High School.
- February 12, 2016 – Glendale, Arizona (Deaths 2) Two 15-year-old girls died in an apparent Murder-Suicide at Independence High School.
- February 29, 2016 – Middletown, Ohio (Injuries 4) 15-year-old Cameron Smith, and 14-year-old Cooper Caffrey, were shot when 14-year-old James Austin Hancock, opened fire in the Madison High School cafeteria with a .380 caliber handgun. 15-year-old Brant Murray, and 14-year-old Katherine Douchette, also suffered shrapnel injuries. Hancock was apprehended in a nearby wooded field.
- April 23, 2016 – Antigo, Wisconsin (Deaths 1, Injuries 2)Two students at a prom at Antigo High School were shot and injured by 18-year-old former student Jakob Wagner. Wagner later exchanged fire with a school resource officer in the school’s parking lot, and was captured after being shot and wounded by police. He died hours later in a hospital.
- June 8, 2016 – Dorchester, Massachusetts (Deaths 1, Injuries 3) One student was killed and three other individuals were injured when gunfire erupted outside of the Jeremiah Burke High School following a fire-alarm causing an evacuation of the school. Two suspects have been arrested.
- September 9, 2016 – Alpine, Texas (Deaths 1, Injuries 2) A 14-year-old female student shot a 16-year-old girl in an Alpine High School restroom before committing suicide. A police officer accidentally shot another officer during the incident.
- September 28, 2016 – Townville, South Carolina (Deaths 2, Injuries 2)
Townville Elementary School shooting: Two students and one teacher were wounded after a teen opened fire at Townville Elementary School. The suspect’s father was found dead at his home soon after the shooting. One of the victims, six-year-old Jacob Hall, died 3 days after the shooting
- October 11, 2016 – Mobile, Alabama (Injuries 1) A student was shot in the abdomen and wounded at Vigor High School. The suspect, a 16-year-old boy, turned himself in and was charged with assault.
- October 13, 2016 – Columbus, Ohio (Injuries 2) Two students were shot and wounded on the front lawn of Linden McKinley STEM Academy. One was shot in the shoulder, and the other shot in the chest, and were hospitalized in stable condition.
- October 18, 2016 – San Francisco, California (Injuries 4) Four students were shot outside June Jordan High School for Equity, a San Francisco public high school. One female victim was in critical condition, while three male victims suffered minor injuries. Two people were arrested in the shooting.
- October 25, 2016 – Sandy, Utah (Injuries 1) Police say the two teens ages 14 and 16 were involved in a confrontation on the far north end of Union Middle School. The boys got into an argument. The argument lead to a shooting. The 14 year old shot the 16 year old twice. He was sent to the hospital in critical but stable condition.
- December 1, 2016 – Bountiful, Utah (Deaths/Injuries 0) At Mueller Park Junior High School, a 15-year-old student fired one shot into the ceiling and then pointed the weapon at his own neck. The student was confronted verbally by a teacher and another student and later arrested in possession of a shotgun, a handgun, and ammunition for each.
- January 20, 2017 – West Liberty, Ohio (Injuries 1) A 17-year-old student was charged with attempted murder and other crimes after bringing a gun to West Liberty-Salem High School and firing two shots at 17-year-old student in a bathroom with a shotgun. The victim was injured. The student was “also is accused of discharging the weapon in the school’s hallway before returning to the bathroom, where he was eventually taken into custody.”
- March 21, 2017 – King City, California (Injuries 1) An 18-year-old: King City High School student was shot outside the school’s auditorium. The gunman ran across the school’s campus and baseball field, and fled the area. The school was then placed on lockdown. The victim was hospitalized with life-threatening injuries. A suspect was arrested in August 2017.
- April 10, 2017 – San Bernardino, California (Deaths 3, Injuries 1) North Park Elementary School shooting: Cedric Anderson, age 53, of Riverside, California, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after shooting and killing his estranged wife, Karen Elaine Smith, age 53, in a classroom. An eight-year-old student was also fatally shot, and a seven-year-old student was injured.
- September 13, 2017 – Rockford, Washington (Deaths 1, Injuries 3) Freedman High School: Three students injured and one killed after a shooter opened fire. The suspect, a 15-year-old student, was taken into police custody.
- September 20, 2017 – Mattoon, Illinois (Injuries 1) Mattoon High School: A 14-year-old male student was subdued by a female teacher when he attempted to open fire in the school cafeteria at 11:33 a.m. Multiple shots were fired in the process, and one student was struck in the chest and was driven to a nearby hospital suffering non-life-threatening wounds. The student was taken into custody without further incident.
- November 14, 2017 – Rancho Tehama Reserve, California (Deaths 6, Injuries 18) Neighbor on a rampage injured one student at Rancho Tehama Elementary School and fatally shot five adults at several locations. The secretary heard the gunfire near the school and ordered the school to go on lockdown. After a custodian and the teachers put it into action, 43 year-old Kevin Neal rammed a truck into the gate of the school and fired at the classrooms hitting one student when a bullet pierced the wall. Neal fatally shot himself after sheriff’s deputies rammed his vehicle during a pursuit.
- December 7, 2017 – Aztec, New Mexico (Deaths 3) Aztec High School shooting: William Atchison, 21-year-old former male student snuck into Aztec High School disguised as a student and hid in an unlocked washroom with a Glock 9mm hidden in his bag. He retreated from the washroom after being spotted by a school custodian who chased him shouting “active shooter” and “lockdown”. Atchinson was able to shoot and kill two students who were caught in the hallway before he killed himself. He had been investigated in 2016 by the FBI when he asked “where to find cheap assault rifles for a mass shooting” on an online forum.