The FBI announced on Friday that it has arrested all five adults connected to the “extremist Muslim” compound in New Mexico. The arrests come just days after all charges were dropped against three of the defendants.
Fox News reports that the five suspects, who made national headlines after 11 children were found starving at their compound, were arrested by the FBI for “violating federal firearms and conspiracy laws.”
“The defendants, Jany Leveille, 35, a Haitian national illegally present in the United States, Siraj Ibn Wahhaj, 40, Hujrah Wahhaj, 37, Subhanah Wahhaj, 35, and Lucas Morton, 40, are charged in a criminal complaint that was filed earlier today in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico,” the FBI said in a statement.
“The criminal complaint charges Jany Leveille with being an alien unlawfully in possession of firearms and ammunition in the District of New Mexico from Nov. 2017 through Aug. 2018,” the FBI continued. “The criminal complaint charges the other four defendants with aiding and abetting Leveille in committing the offense, and with conspiring with Leveille to commit the offense.”
District Judge Emilio Chavez has dismissed all charges against three of the five defendants — Morton, Subhannah Wahhaj, and Hujrah Wahhaj — earlier this week after prosecutors “missed the 10-day limit for an evidentiary hearing to establish probable cause.”
Prosecutors said in court filings earlier this month that Siraj Ibn Wahhaj allegedly conducted weapons training for the children with the intent that they would carry out school shootings.
A report from this week revealed that investigators had found a “‘handwritten document titled ‘Phases of a Terrorist Attack,’ and that the ‘extremist Muslims’ had allegedly planned to attack a hospital.”