On Friday, several students were killed and a dozen more injured during a stabbing attack at a middle school in China’s northwest Shaanxi province.
The Associated Press reports:
Seven students were killed Friday in a stabbing rampage at a middle school in China’s northwest, authorities said. State broadcaster CCTV said the attack happened in Shaanxi province’s Mizhi county as students were leaving the No. 3 Middle School. It said 12 other students were injured.
Police identified the suspect as a 28-year-old man who used to attend the middle school who allegedly told police that he targeted the school because he had been bullied there when he was a student. The AP adds:
China tightly restricts private gun ownership, making knives and homemade explosives the most common weapons employed in violent crimes.
The BBC noted multiple examples of mass stabbing attacks that have taken place in China over the last few years in which scores of people were killed and hundreds more injured.
In June 2017, a man blew up a kindergarten school in eastern China, killing at least eight people and injuring approximately 65 others.