Calls for the resignation of Democrat John Kerry, the Biden administration’s Special Presidential Envoy for Climate, picked up steam on Monday following an explosive report published over the weekend in which Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that Kerry told him that Israel was behind hundreds of attacks on Iranian assets in Syria.
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki and State Department spokesman Ned Price both refused to comment on the report when asked about it on Monday, saying that they do not comment on leaked materials.
Kerry decided to respond to it after Price and Psaki both declined, claiming, “I can tell you that this story and these allegations are unequivocally false. This never happened — either when I was Secretary of State or since.”
Free Beacon reporter Chuck Ross noted that Kerry did not specify what which part of the story he claims is false.
Kerry doesn’t say which part is false. Also notable: he’s commenting on the Zarif tape after both White House and State Dept said they won’t comment on leaked materials https://t.co/MsnuKIEcVp
— Chuck Ross (@ChuckRossDC) April 27, 2021
“If this tape is verified, it would signal catastrophic and disqualifying recklessness by Envoy Kerry to Foreign Minister Zarif that endangered the safety of Americans and our allies,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said in a statement to The Daily Wire. “And it would be consistent with his long pattern of empowering Iran’s regime. Kerry poured hundreds of billions of dollars into the Ayatollah’s terrorist bank accounts, was a close confidant with Zarif during the Obama administration, and was caught repeatedly meeting with him during the Trump administration (notwithstanding the Logan Act) — and has never publicly accounted for what they discussed.”
Mike Pompeo, former secretary of state and CIA director, told the Free Beacon that the report proved “what I’ve said for years: That [Zarif] continued to engage with former secretary of state Kerry on policy matters after Kerry’s public service and, according to Zarif, Kerry informed the Iranians of Israeli operations.”
Pompeo continued, “Before we cut a deal with Iran that reduces Americans’ security, it would be good to know what the arrangement, if any, may have been between these two leaders.”
Other notable responses to the report include:
- Rep. Elise Stafanik (R-NY): “This is a criminal act and John Kerry must be immediately investigated and PROSECUTED. President Biden must immediately remove John Kerry from any government or advisory position.”
- Former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley: “This is disgusting on many levels. Biden and Kerry have to answer for why Kerry would be tipping off Iran, the number one sponsor of terror, while stabbing one of our greatest partners, Israel, in the back.”
- Donald Trump Jr.: “Imagine for a second a Trump official sitting on the NSC, like Kerry does, told Iran details about Israeli strikes? I believe the media would be screaming TREASON and they wouldn’t be too far off, but of course they’ll say and do nothing because they’re useless propagandists.”
- Rep. Jim Banks (R-IN): “John Kerry must resign immediately. The investigation should be retrospective.”
- Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR): “These reports are concerning—I’d like the opportunity to ask Secretary Kerry about this in a closed hearing.”
- Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN): “If intel leak rumors are true, John Kerry should seriously consider resignation.”
- Sens. Dan Sullivan (R-AK) and Rick Scott (R-FL) both called for Kerry to resign.
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.