Hillary Clinton's acceptance speech as the Democratic presidential nominee featured numerous lies amidst her boring lack of charisma, but one of her biggest lies was that she wasn't going to take away anyone's guns.
"I'm not here to repeal the 2nd Amendment. I'm not here to take away your guns. I just don't want you to be shot by someone who shouldn't have a gun in the first place," Clinton said. "We should be working with responsible gun owners to pass common-sense reforms and keep guns out of the hands of criminals, terrorists and all others who would do us harm."
Here are five reasons why we know she's lying about this.
1. Hillary has said she would consider implementing Australia's gun ban. Back in October, Clinton was asked at a campaign event in New Hampshire if the U.S. could put forth an Australia-style gun ban.
"I think it would be worth considering doing it on the national level, if that could be arranged," Clinton replied.
As Katie Pavlich wrote in The Hill at the time, Clinton was essentially considering "a mandated national buyback program" and "getting rid of handguns in the United States."
It's also worth noting that Australia's gun ban had no effect on reducing gun homicides.
2. Hillary will likely appoint a Supreme Court justice to overturn D.C. v. Heller, where the Court recognized the right to bear arms enshrined in the Second Amendment. In an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, Clinton said:
I think that for most of our history, there was a nuanced reading of the Second Amendment until the decision by the late Justice Scalia and there was no argument until then that localities and states and the federal government had a right, as we do with every amendment, to impose reasonable regulation.
But as National Review's Daniel Payne pointed out, Justice Antonin Scalia, who wrote the majority opinion, actually did say that regulations that set "conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms" were permissible under the Second Amendment, which Scalia wrote was not absolute. It's possible Clinton doesn't know this, but not likely.
"Because she is not stupid, Hillary Clinton understands that there is no meaningful distinction between Heller and the Second Amendment itself; to get rid of one is, effectively, to get rid of the other," writes Payne. "It is silly, insulting, and alarming that she still insists upon pretending otherwise."
Additionally, Crime Research Prevention Center president John Lott has noted that Clinton is essentially saying that the D.C. handgun ban that was struck down in Heller was "reasonable," and that Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer, both of whom were appointed by her husband, voted against Heller. Justice Elena Kagan actually "served in the Clinton administration and helped lead the President’s gun control initiatives," according to Lott.
"If Hillary wins in November, she will appoint Scalia’s successor and the Supreme Court will overturn the Heller decision," writes Lott. "Make no mistake about it, gun bans will return."
3. She has called for suing gun manufacturers to the ground. Clinton has called for repealing the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which would allow gun manufacturers to be sued for gun deaths. As The Daily Wire has explained, this policy would be incredibly dumb because the gun manufacturers are already held liable if they sell a defective gun, but they're not responsible for how their guns are used. It would simply be a back-door way for leftists like Clinton to dry up the supply of guns, since repealing PLCAA would subject the gun manufacturers to frivolous lawsuits that would bankrupt them.
4. Hillary has also advocated for banning those on the terror watch list from owning a gun.
If you’re too dangerous to get on a plane, you're too dangerous to buy a gun in America. https://t.co/jTFExp1BXF— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) June 14, 2016
But as The Daily Wire has written, this would essentially deny thousands of law-abiding citizens who are mistakenly on the terror watch list their constitutional right to a firearm, not to mention the fact that being on the terror watch list does not prevent someone from flying.
5. Hillary also has also supported measures to raise the costs of firearms, another backdoor method of preventing American citizens from obtaining them. Clinton has pledged to go "go further than Obama" with implementing gun control via executive order, which includes expanding background checks. As Lott has pointed out, this raises the costs of firearms. Lott also notes that Clinton had previously called for a 25 percent handgun sales tax in 1993, and she would not disavow her previous support when George Stephanopoulos pressed her on it.