Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) has been making the rounds on television expressing his disappointment in his former employee Jim Comey, the current FBI director, for not recommending charges against former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
In an appearance on Fox and Friends, Giuliani said, "As associate attorney and as Jim Comey’s boss for two or three years, I was very disappointed in him. I think if you read it, it’s logically inconsistent. He contradicts himself at least three times."
Giuliani also pointed out that Comey never explained why Clinton wasn't guilty of violating 18 USC 793 (f), since the standard is simply "gross negligence," not intent.
"There have been, I've counted so far already, eight prosecutions under that statute," Giulani said. "He's just dead wrong that there were no prosecutions for non-intent."
In an appearance on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Giuliani argued that recommending charges against Clinton should have been a "no-brainer" and that the deleted emails were a "smoking gun" showing intent.
"He found her to be 'extremely careless,' her and her staff," Giuliani said. "If you look at the definition of gross negligence, both in Black's Law Dictionary and in about eight cases, the definition is extreme carelessness. And people of much lesser rank that Hillary Clinton have been indicted and convicted under that statute and the lesser misdemeanor statute."
Giuliani 'profoundly' disagrees with FBI decision: It's a no-brainer https://t.co/rrxt4GEuNy— Morning Joe (@Morning_Joe) July 6, 2016
"As associate attorney and as Jim Comey’s boss for two or three years, I was very disappointed in him."
Giuliani also appeared on CNBC and said that he was "shocked" at Comey's decision and lamented that it will be "almost impossible" for the FBI to recommend charges under this statute as a result of Comey's decision.
"I don't know what Jim is doing," Giuliani said. "This is, to me, a extremely hard conclusion to justify."
Former prosecutor & NYC mayor Rudy Giuliani: "Shocked" at FBI director Comey's conclusion in Clinton e-mail probe pic.twitter.com/3HLxmkVjRD— CNBC Now (@CNBCnow) July 5, 2016
(h/t: The Hill)