A new report from The Hill describes how Obamacare is having two separate results in the country: “one in coastal and northern areas, where the marketplaces include multiple insurers and plans. And there’s the one in southern and rural areas, where there is often little competition, a situation that can lead to higher premiums.”
In fact, there are seven states that will only have one insurer providing Obamacare.
This is the latest sign that Obamacare is collapsing. Here are five other signs showing the deterioration of the healthcare law:
1. Aetna is now the latest insurer to pull out of Obamacare. The Daily Wire reported on Tuesday that the insurance company will no longer be a part of the Obamacare exchanges in all but four states after experiencing a $200 million loss before taxes due to a dearth of young, healthy enrollees. United Health is also pulling out of the exchanges and Humana may leave as well.
2. Premiums are set to skyrocket. A Kaiser Family Foundation study concluded that premiums will double in 2017, as the average premium increase among Obamacare exchange plans is 10 percent, compared to five percent in 2016. David Catron explains in The American Spectator that the increases are the result of “many healthy individuals who earn more than $47,520 annually, and are thus ineligible for government subsidies, simply refuse to buy coverage. Consequently, the insurers are stuck with patients who are sicker, on average, than would be the case in an unfettered market” because insurers “selling coverage through the exchanges would lose money unless they charged exorbitant premiums and even more outrageous deductibles.”
In other words, the “death spiral” that Obamacare critics have warned about is coming to fruition. This transitions nicely into this other sign…
3. Obamacare enrollment numbers are declining sharply. According to healthcare expert Sally Pipes, enrollment has declined by 1.6 million in 2016, putting the number at 11.1 million, and it could go lower than 10 million by the end of the year.
4. Sixteen out of 23 Obamacare co-ops have gone under. For more on the co-ops, be sure to read The Daily Wire‘s piece here.
A Kaiser Family Foundation study concluded that premiums will double in 2017.
5. The amount of uninsured Americans is expected to skyrocket in the upcoming decade. A Congressional Budget Office report found that there could be around 26 million to 28 million uninsured Americans in ten years, but the White House is projecting that there could be as many as 93 million Americans uninsured, as explained in The Daily Wire‘s piece here on seven signs of Obamacare failing.