Socialist Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez announced on Sunday that she is no longer using Facebook and is cutting back on all social media for health reasons associated with being too engaged with social media.
“I actually think that social media poses a public health risk to everybody,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “There are amplified impacts for young people, particularly children under the age of 3 with screen time. But I think it has a lot of effects on older people. I think it has effects on everybody. Increased isolation, depression, anxiety, addiction, escapism.”
“I personally gave up Facebook, which was kind of a big deal because I started my campaign on Facebook,” Ocasio-Cortez continued. “And Facebook was my primary digital organizing tool for a very long time. I gave up on it.”
“Like every once in a while, you’ll see me hop on Twitter on the weekends, but for the most part, I take consumption of content, when it comes to consumption and reading, I take the weekends off,” Ocasio-Cortez added. “And so I’m not, like, scrolling through trying to read everything online that journalists are writing on weekends. I try to do that during the workweek.”
While many of Ocasio-Cortez’s critics and fans believe that her social media game is her greatest strength, Ocasio-Cortez has become a frequent punching bag on social media as many of the things that she posts are false, offensive, or both. Here are just a few examples:
- Ocasio-Cortez uses the Holocaust to defend anti-Semitic Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN)
- Ocasio-Cortez Defends Omar's 9/11 Comments By Mocking War Hero Dan Crenshaw
- Ocasio-Cortez Pushes Conspiracy Theories, Says Homeland Security Stole ‘1000s Of Children’
- Ocasio-Cortez Comes Up With New Excuse For Accent Labeled As Racist, Pandering By Critics
- Ocasio-Cortez: U.S. Deliberately Drugging Kids In Cages Due To 'Their National Origin'
- TINFOIL HAT: Ocasio-Cortez Convinced 'Far-Right' Conspiracy Is Ruining Her
- Ocasio-Cortez Explodes After Learning Her 'Unfavorable' Rating Has Skyrocketed
- Ocasio-Cortez Gets Slammed For Politicizing Terror Attack, Mocking Prayer, Blaming NRA
- 'UGLY RACIST TWEET': Ocasio-Cortez Slammed For Promoting Bigotry
- Ocasio-Cortez: People Maybe Shouldn’t Reproduce Due To Climate Change
- Ocasio-Cortez Explodes Over People Saying She ‘Didn’t Understand’ Amazon Deal
- WATCH: Ocasio-Cortez Doesn't Understand Difference Between Berlin Wall, Border Wall
- Ocasio-Cortez Is 'Proud' Of Ilhan Omar After Omar Promoted Anti-Semitism
- WATCH: Ocasio-Cortez Attacks ICE After Illegal MS-13 Gangster Allegedly Murdered Someone In Her District
- Ocasio-Cortez Gets In Twitter Feud With WaPo Fact-Checker; Facts Win, But AOC Claims Victory Anyhow
- MELTDOWN: Ocasio-Cortez Explodes After Fact-Check, Doesn't Want To Be Held To Same Standards As Trump
Ocasio-Cortez’s poll numbers have been on a rapid decline ever since she entered office as her unfavorable ratings have grown at twice the rate of her favorable ratings.
Another poll found that that only 12% of New Yorkers believe that Ocasio-Cortez was a “hero” after she worked to sabotage the Amazon deal — which would have brought tens of thousands of jobs and billions of dollars in economic activity and tax revenues to New York — while “38 percent label her a villain.”