On Thursday, Cars.com, which measures the American-ness of a car based on a number of different factors, announced that in 2018, the most American car was—the Jeep Cherokee, built in Belvidere, Illinois.
The American-Made Index measures how American a car is using these variables: where it is built; domestic-parts content as determined by the American Automobile Labeling Act; engine sourcing transmission sourcing and factory jobs provided by each automaker's U.S. plants, according to Cars.com.
The American-Made Index analyzes engine and transmission sourcing to ascertain whether those parts come from Canada or the U.S. It doesn’t count vehicles with fewer than 2,500 sales in the first quarter of 2018.
Second and third place in the survey were taken by Hondas: the Odyssey minivan and Ridgeline pickup, which are built in Lincoln, Alabama.
Here are the top ten and where they are built:
1. Jeep Cherokee: Belvidere, Ill.
2. Honda Odyssey: Lincoln, Ala.
3. Honda Ridgeline: Lincoln, Ala.
4. Ford Taurus: Chicago
5. Chevrolet Volt: Detroit
6. Honda Pilot: Lincoln, Ala.
7. Acura MDX: East Liberty, Ohio
8. Ford Explorer: Chicago
9. Ford F-150: Claycomo, Mo., and Dearborn, Mich.
10. Chevrolet Corvette: Bowling Green, Ky.