Nothing screams love and romance more than eating a vagina cupcake, or at least that's what Planned Parenthood apparently believes.
LifeNews reports that "one Planned Parenthood affiliate is asking women to host 'Galentine’s Day' parties and fundraise with 'safe sex-themed Valentines,' complete with 'vagina and birth control cupcakes.'"
First coined by the show "Parks and Recreation," Galentine's Day is about "ladies celebrating ladies." The Planned Parenthood of New York City (PPNYC) Activist Council has distributed toolkits for women to turn their Galentine's Day into a "fearless fundraising extravaganza!" They also urged women to "invite folks from any gender identity you choose!"
"Hosting a Galentine's Day PPNYC fundraiser is a fun way to celebrate your gal pals AND raise money for sexual and reproductive health access!" the group exclaims. "So grab your waffle maker and get started!"
The toolkits suggest hosting potlucks with various sexually themed baking products, including "Vagina" and "Birth Control Cupcakes!" The toolkit included the following "sample goals":
- "Get at least 10-40 people to attend."
- "Set a specific dollar amount goal."
- "Ask everyone to ‘donate their age’ in a one-time donation or as a recurring, monthly donation." (Really? Donate your age so a child never gets to?)
- "Make sure everyone at your event signs up for PPNYC’s weekly email actions."
Here were the suggested "activities":
- "Send PPNYC safe sex themed Valentines."
- "Download and color your own resistance coloring pages."
- "Listen to PP inspired playlists or create your own."
- "Enjoy fancy, feminist-themed cocktails."
- "Marathon episodes of Parks & Rec or ‘treat yourselves’ with homemade face masks."
- "Do some crafts like handmade cards to thank a health center care worker or abortion provider."
Speaking with Bustle, PPNYC Activist Council fundraising group co-chair Alissa Vladimir said she "came up with this idea and developed the Galentine’s Party Toolkit to raise money in a fun, low-key way with friends."