Myeshia Johnson, the pregnant widow of U.S. Army Sgt. La David Johnson who died in Niger, broke her silence on Good Morning America Monday, telling host George Stephanopoulos that Rep. Frederica Wilson was "100% correct" in "whatever" she said, and that President Donald Trump struggled to remember her husband's name during his condolence call.

"I heard him stumbling on trying to remember my husband's name, and that’s what hurt me the most because if my husband is out here fighting for our country and he risked his life for our country, why can’t you remember his name," Johnson said. "That’s what made me upset and cry even more because my husband was an awesome soldier."


Wilson told media last week that, as she listened in on Trump's call with Johnson, she heard the President say, "Well I guess you know he knew what he was signing up for, but it still hurts." Her comments set off a firestorm, with the President calling Wilson's statement a "total fabrication," and the White House following up with criticisim that Wilson had politicized a sensitive situation.

Other Gold Star widows released their phone calls with Trump over the weekend, showing Trump at his best, and speaking from the heart. White House Chief of Staff John Kelly told a press conference last week that he'd personally coached the President through condolence phone calls for the several soldiers who perished in an ambush in Niger.

Johnson says, however, that Wilson is "100% correct," — though she was unable to recall Wilson's specific comments. “Why would we fabricate something like that?” Johnson added.

President Trump fired back at Johnson in true Trump fashion, taking to Twitter to defend himself against her claims, and arguing that he remembered Johnson's name “from the beginning” and “without hesitation.”

The response, undignified for the White House, seemed out of place, as though the President, now more than a week deep into this controversy, simply could not let Johnson's comment go.

Johnson, who is due to give birth in January, had other concerns, including that she was not allowed to see her husband's body and that she has not been given an explanation as to how or why he died in the line of service.