On Monday, CNN "broke" the news that the Obama administration did in fact "wire tap" Team Trump, specifically Paul Manafort, both leading up to and following the election. But the bombshell report — in which CNN somehow fails to mention President Trump's media-condemned allegation in March that "Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower" — turns out to be old news. The wire-tapping of Manafort was reported months ago by several sources, including conservative radio host and author Mark Levin.
As The Daily Wire reported at the time, Levin appeared on Fox News to lay out the evidence that the Obama administration had in fact weaponized the intelligence agencies against Team Trump, specifically by using FISA warrants (as CNN is now confirming, again). Partial transcript (via Mediaite) of Levin's statement on Fox News and video below:
They were so aggressive, they waited four or five months, they go back in October, weeks before the general election, they narrow their request, all of the sudden we have leaks coming out on [Michael] Flynn. Then we have a "Oh horrible" meeting that took place between [Attorney General Jeff] Sessions and so forth. And I’m telling you as a former chief of staff to a United States attorney general in the [Ronald] Regan administration, these are police state tactics. ... The evidence is overwhelming … Donald Trump is the victim. His campaign is the victim. His transition team is the victim. His surrogates are the victims.
Levin also called for public hearings on the two FISA court warrant requests from the Obama administration.
WATCH (via Fox News):
Here are some of the sources Levin cited for his claims as evidence of the Obama administration weaponizing federal intelligence agencies against Trump, including a report by The Daily Wire's own Emily Zanotti for Heat Street and several reports by left-leaning outlets:
- "EXCLUSIVE: FBI ‘Granted FISA Warrant’ Covering Trump Camp’s Ties To Russia," from Heat Street.
- "John McCain passes dossier alleging secret Trump-Russia contacts to FBI," from The Guardian.
- "FBI, 5 other agencies probe possible covert Kremlin aid to Trump," from McClatchy.
- "Intercepted Russia Communications Part of inquiry Into Trump Associates," from The New York Times.
- "N.S.A. gets More Latitude to Share Intercepted Communications," from The New York Times.
- "Flynn Is Said to Have Talked to Russians About Sanctions Before Trump Took Office," from The New York Times.
- "Obama Administration Rushed to Preserve Evidence of Russian Election Hacking," from The New York Times.
- "Inquiry on Trump aides includes intercepted Russian data," from The Boston Globe.
In its flashback piece on Levin's comments, Mediaite notes that at the time The Washington Post accused Levin of either being "confused" or deliberately trying to mislead the public: “Mark Levin is confused. Or he is trying to confuse you.”
Here was Trump's bombshell accusation he leveled on Twitter on March 4 that started the whole media firestorm:
Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism! Is it legal for a sitting President to be ‘wire tapping’ a race for president prior to an election? Turned down by court earlier. A NEW LOW! I'd bet a good lawyer could make a great case out of the fact that President Obama was tapping my phones in October, just prior to Election! How low has President Obama gone to tapp my phones during the very sacred election process. This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy!
More from The Daily Wire on Obama wiretapping Team Trump: