Forbes just put out its list of the most overpaid actors of 2015. The big news: Adam Sandler has officially been dethroned from the top spot of 2014 by Captain Jack Sparrow himself.
Technically, Sandler was ineligible for the list this year because his four movie Netflix deal doesn't meet the "wide cinematic release criteria," which ultimately bumped last year's #2, Johnny Depp, up the chain of command from Captain to Admiral Box Office Poison.
The financial news site explains their results:
To compile our rundown, we looked at the last three films each actor starred in before June 2015, save animated films, movies where the actor appeared in an insignificant role, or movies that were released on fewer than 2,000 screens. We then deducted the estimated production budget from the global box office for each film according to Box Office Mojo to come up with a limited definition of each movie’s operating income. We took the total operating income from the star’s three most recent significant films then divided by the star’s estimated pay for those films to come up with a final return on investment number.
The dubious top 10 list below...
1. Johnny Depp - returns $1.20 for every $1 paid.
2. Denzel Washington - returns $6.50 for every $1 paid.
3. Will Ferrell - returns $6.80 for every $1 paid.
4. Liam Neeson - returns $7.20 for every $1 paid.
5. Will Smith - returns $8.60 for every $1 paid.
6. Christian Bale - returns $9.20 for every $1 paid.
7. Channing Tatum - returns $10.80 for every $1 paid.
8. Brad Pitt - returns $12 for every $1 paid.
9. Ben Affleck - returns $12.30 for every $1 paid.
10. Tom Cruise - returns $13.60 for every $1 paid.
Exit thought by The Duke...