This Girl Claimed A Trump Fan Cut Her Face. She Made It Up.

University of Michigan student Halley Bass told police back on November 15—about a week after Donald Trump's upset of Hillary Clinton—that she was attacked by a safety-pin-wielding Trump supporter, resulting in a scratch on her face. But after police were unable to find evidence of the supposed attack on surveillance footage, Bass finally admitted that she had, in fact, cut herself.

In her original report to the police, Bass claimed that she was attacked while on her way to the movies by a strange man wearing a baseball hat and a hoodie. She alleged that he must have targeted her because she was wearing a safety pin, which was widely used in both the United Kingdom and the U.S. to show "solidarity" with minorities who feel threatened by the Brexit and the election of Trump, respectively. The man, she claimed, used the safety pin to scratch her face.

But in Michigan's 15th District Court on Monday, Bass, 21, admitted that she fabricated the story. Bass pleaded guilty to one count of falsely reporting a misdemeanor, telling Judge Elizabeth Pollard Hines that rather than an unidentified Trump supporter, as she had originally suggested, she had inflicted the wound herself.

"I was suffering from depression at the time," said Bass. "I made a superficial scratch on my face. It was visible and I was embarrassed about what I'd done. So I made up a story and told a friend that a stranger had done it while I was walking. I was encouraged to report it to the police. I made the mistake of doing that."

Bass revealed that she cut herself because she became "scared" during a discussion in her Women's Literature class at UM.

"I had been in a discussion in my women's lit weirdly and there were a few people in my class that sort of said some things that scared me," she said. "It was more like I wanted a concrete reason to be scared then to just talk, I guess."

Her attorney, Douglas Mullkoff, has requested that she be sentenced through the district's mental health court. For the false report, she faces a maximum of a $500 fine and 93 days in jail.

MLive notes that Bass originally attempted to add her self-inflicted wound to the supposed "surge in hate crimes following the election of Donald Trump a week earlier." As the Daily Wire has chronicled, many of those "hate crimes" have turned out to be as credible as Bass's story. (Here's the Daily Caller's helpful guide to 2016's long list of hate crimes.)

MLive, who obtained a copy of the original police report, provides the details of her fabricated story:

Bass originally told police that she got out of class at Angell Hall around 1 p.m. and walked to the Starbuck's on the corner of East Liberty Street and South State Street, but left because it was too crowded, according to the report.

Bass said she then went to the Michigan Theater down Liberty to see what movies were playing and that while she was passing by "Graffiti Alley" a short time later a man attacked her, slashing her face with what she believed was a safety pin, the report said.

Bass told police the attack was likely prompted by the Brexit pin.

"(The) person must have seen the pin and picked on me," Bass said, according to the report. "That's my best guess. No other reason why he would be targeting me." ...

The police noted several scratches on her face.

Bass described the suspect as an approximately 45-year-old white male, with stubble on his face, wearing a black baseball hat pulled low over his face, a gray hoodie with the hood down and sweat pants.

H/T Washington Times, HotAir.

What's Your Reaction?