One of the more galling aspects of the 2016 election is the Democrats’ continuous attempts to target Republicans for sins that they themselves have committed. Today’s example comes courtesy of Barack Obama, who said while speaking at the Disabled Veterans Convention, “I’m pretty tired of some folks trash talking America’s military.”
Suddenly, Obama’s a pro-military hawk.
What hogwash. Here are six times Obama slammed the military for no good reason:
1. Saying The Military Willy-Nilly Kills Civilians. In 2007, Obama told his supporters that his strategy in Afghanistan would be simple: “We have to have enough troops that we’re not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians.” The military, of course, wasn’t doing “just” that. Worth noting: this year, Obama noted that his drone war kills civilians fairly routinely, adding, “I wish I could just send an Iron Man – I don’t mean that as a joke. I wish that the tragedy of war, conflict, terrorism, etc., did not end up creating circumstances where we, wielding kinetic power, don’t end up hurting anybody that shouldn’t have been hurt.”
2. Saying Americans Wasted Their Lives In Iraq. Speaking that same year, Obama said, “We ended up launching a war (in Iraq) that should never have been authorized and should never have been waged, and to which we have now spent $400 billion and has seen over 3,000 lives of the bravest young Americans wasted.”
3. Not Listing Military Service As Public Service. In May 2008, Obama spoke at Wesleyan University, where he asked “more of you to serve abroad.” He then listed off a series of career choices. None included the military.
4. Blasting Military Solutions. In his 1995 memoir, Dreams From My Father, Obama blasted the “powerful” for their “dull complacency and ... steady, unthinking application of force, of ... more sophisticated military hardware.”
5. Slashing The Military. Obama made a key point of his 2008 slashing the military. He ran a campaign ad stating, “I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of future combat systems. I will institute an independent Defense Priorities Board to ensure that the Quadrennial Defense Review is not used to justify unnecessary defense spending ... I will set a goal for a world without nuclear weapons. To seek that goal: I will not develop nuclear weapons.” As President, Obama has insisted on slashing the military to unsustainable levels – we now have the smallest number of ships in the Navy since World War I, and our military is no longer able to fight two wars simultaneously.
6. Using The Troops As Photo-Ops. Visiting Osan Air Base in South Korea in 2009, Obama said that the military standing behind him made “a pretty good photo op.” In October 2009, Obama went to Dover air force base to meet the coffins coming back from Afghanistan. The New York Times originally reported, “The images and the sentiment of the president’s five-hour trip to Delaware were intended by the White House to convey to the nation that Mr. Obama was not making his Afghanistan decision lightly or in haste.” That same year, Obama visited Iraq, where reports quickly emerged that his team had pre-screened for Obama voters to stand in the receiving line to boost the perception of troop enthusiasm for the Commander-in-Chief.
Obama doesn’t get to pander to the military he’s slashed to catastrophic levels. Just because Donald Trump is a dolt doesn’t make Obama a fan of the military. His entire career is a testament to that simple truth.