9 Biggest Lies Obama Told In His DNC Speech
President Barack Obama gave a real Fidel Castro-esque stemwinder of a speech at the Democratic National Convention on Wednesday evening, as he attempted to puff up himself and his former Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton. But as is the norm with Obama, his speech was laced with lies. Here are the nine biggest lies that Obama told in his DNC speech.
1. Obama painted a rosier picture of the economy than it really is. "After the worst recession in 80 years, we’ve fought our way back," Obama said. "We’ve seen deficits come down, 401(k)s recover, an auto industry set new records, unemployment reach eight-year lows, and our businesses create 15 million new jobs."
Here's why each of these claims is false, in respective order:
- Ronald Reagan inherited a worse economy than Obama.
- According to USA Today, while deficits have declined under Obama, "they are expected to rise again soon under his proposed budget." Additionally, as The Daily Wire editor-in-chief Ben Shapiro explains here, Obama completely "blew out" the deficit to $1 trillion in first year in office and created a $4 trillion budget, doubling the $2 trillion budget preceding him. He then reduced the budget to $3.5 trillion–not as much, but absurdly high. The overall debt is now over $19 trillion in debt.
- It is natural for 401(k)s to recover on their own after a recession. But the Obama administration is pushing regulations that would drive people into government-run retirement accounts.
- The Federal Reserve's "easy money" practices have resulted in an artificially inflated auto industry that's being set up for disaster.
- The unemployment figure is incredibly misleading since it's not including those that have dropped out of the workforce.
- The 15 million jobs number is also misleading without context, and there's actually a 14 million "jobs gap," according to Investor's Business Daily.
2. Obama lied about the troops. He said that "we brought more of our troops home to their families." Problem is, 75 percent of U.S. soldier deaths in Afghanistan have occurred under Obama.
3. He also lied about the success of his diplomacy. Obama bloviated that his diplomacy "shut down Iran’s nuclear weapons program" and "opened up a new chapter with the people of Cuba."
Actually, the Iran deal has paved the way for the terror state to obtain nuclear weapons sooner than expected, and his relations on Cuba have further tightened the iron fist of the Castro brother's tyrannical regime.
4. Obama twisted his administration's record on ISIS. "Our troops have pounded ISIL without mercy, taking out leaders, taking back territory," Obama blustered.
The Obama administration has waged mere "pinprick" strikes against ISIS, while the Islamic terror organization is expanding globally and terror attacks are occurring more frequently under Obama.
He also said that "Hillary won’t relent until ISIL is destroyed"–which is laughable since Clinton is in part responsible for the rise of ISIS.
5. Obama also lied about Clinton's foreign policy credentials. Obama said:
And if you’re concerned about who’s going to keep you and your family safe in a dangerous world – well, the choice is even clearer. Hillary Clinton is respected around the world not just by leaders, but by the people they serve. She’s worked closely with our intelligence teams, our diplomats, our military. And she has the judgment, the experience, and the temperament to meet the threat from terrorism.
As The Daily Wire has outlined here, Clinton's foreign policy record is horrendous, with her worst highlight being the ousting of Libyan dictator Moammar Gaddafi. The result was turning Libya into a cesspool of Islamic terrorism and four brave Americans being murdered at the hands of Islamists at Benghazi, as Clinton lied to the American people that a video was responsible for the attack.
6. Obama says "that illegal immigration and the crime rate are as low as they’ve been in decades." These are both blatantly false. This year is poised to break a record for the number of illegal aliens entering the country, which is part of a broader trend the past couple of years of a surge in illegals crossing the border. As for crime, here are the relevant stats from Heather Mac Donald:
Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey has again drawn the wrath of the White House for calling attention to the rising violence in urban areas. Homicides increased 9% in the largest 63 cities in the first quarter of 2016; nonfatal shootings were up 21%, according to a Major Cities Chiefs Association survey. Those increases come on top of last year’s 17% rise in homicides in the 56 biggest U.S. cities, with 10 heavily black cities showing murder spikes above 60%.
7. Obama said Clinton knows "that democracy doesn’t work if we constantly demonize each other." Clinton has characterized Republicans as her enemies, and has demonized the victims of her husband's sexual philandering as well as the victim of a brutal rapist. Clinton has built her political legacy on demonizing others.
8. Obama also said that Clinton "knows that acknowledging problems that have festered for decades isn’t making race relations worse – it’s creating the possibility for people of good will to join and make things better." And yet Clinton tweeted that "white Americans need to do a better job of listening when African Americans talk about the barriers they face" after a black nationalist murdered five police officers in Dallas, TX, hardly the kind of healing rhetoric that was needed.
9. Obama thinks that "our country is stronger and more prosperous than it was when we started." The problem is that the American people don't agree, as 73 percent feel the country is headed in the wrong direction.
Quotes provided by a transcript of Obama's speech provided by The Los Angeles Times.