Pop Star Bitten By Cobra During Concert, Continues Singing For 45 Mins Until She Collapses And Dies
Indonesian pop star Irma Bule, 29, was performing a concert for the village of Karawang, West Java, when she decided to bring a venomous snake on stage to enhance her act. The result was her tragic demise.
The singer, who's known for using reptiles in her performances, accidentally startled the king cobra, which has enough venom to kill 20 people, causing it to strike her.
The Telegraph reports:
"The accident happened in the middle of the second song when Irma stepped on the snake's tail," audience member Ferlando Octavion Auzura told local website merdeka.com.
"The snake then bit Irma on the thigh."
Witnesses at the gig in Karawang, West Java, said Bule did not initially seem too affected by the bite, and she apparently "refused an antidote from the snake handler," said one local reporter.
Click below for the video of the handlers removing the snake...
After Irma was bitten she continued singing for 45 minutes, even joking with friends backstage that she didn't feel any pain. Then she suddenly started vomiting, eventually collapsing and falling unconscious. She was rushed to a hospital, where she later died.
The Daily Mail notes that Irma's mother Encum said that her daughter had been using snakes, specifically pythons, in her act for three years. According to Encum, the show's organizers provided the cobra, which was supposed to be de-fanged and have its mouth taped shut as the pythons usually do.
"My daughter might not have known that the snake that was given to her for the show was a dangerous cobra. She was told she could wear it, even though its mouth was not closed with duct tape," Encum told Indonesian news site Si Momot.
Sadly, Irma leaves behind a husband and three young children.
Exit thought from Dr. Jones...