The Left likes to claim that illegal immigration is not a problem despite evidence showing that it clearly is a problem. One of the big reasons for this is that crimes committed by illegals tend to receive scant coverage from the media at large in order to make the public more favorable toward lax immigration policies.
Here are seven stories of illegal immigrant crime that the media largely ignored.
1. An illegal immigrant murdered a 21-year-old clerk in January 2015 over a pack of cigarettes. The illegal, identified as Apolinar Altamirano, entered a QT store in Mesa, AZ and demanded a pack of cigarettes after pouring a stack of change onto the counter. The clerk, Grant Ronnebeck, tried to count the money before Altamirano drew out his firearm and aimed it at Ronnebeck. Ronnebeck handed over the cigarettes, but Altamirano still fatally shot him.
2. In July 2016, an illegal MS-13 member murdered his friend by stabbing him 89 times. The illegal, Mauricio Morales-Caceres, stabbed his friend, Oscar Navarro, multiple times, tore out his liver and left it on the body. Morales-Caceres showed no remorse about his heinous act even though Navarro's family is now left without a husband and a father.
The crime was reported in the local section of The Washington Post, and the reader didn't learn that Morales-Caceres had been in the country illegally since 2013 until about halfway through the article.
3. An illegal immigrant killed a 25-year-old after running him over multiple times. Robert Galo entered the United States illegally from Honduras around 1999 but was allowed to stay under a Temporary Protective Status grant. In November 2010, Galo was driving in San Francisco despite not having a license and hit Drew Rosenberg, who was riding a motorcycle. Galo attempted to flee the scene, resulting in him running over Rosenberg numerous times. Galo was convicted of vehicular manslaughter, but it took profuse lobbying from the Rosenberg family to get him deported.
4. An illegal immigrant in Ohio raped and murdered a 60-year-old woman in July 2015. Via Reuters:
Lake County Judge John O'Donnell sentenced Juan Razo, 36, to the maximum life without parole plus 107 years for a July 27 rampage in Concord Township, Ohio, about 30 miles northeast of Cleveland, that began when he attempted to rape his 14-year-old niece in a public park.
Prosecutors said the teenager fought off Razo, but he then went on to rape and murder 60-year-old Margaret Kostelnik after breaking into her nearby home. After killing Kostelnik, he stole a gun, fled the home and shot and wounded a woman walking with her two young children.
He then shot at county sheriff's deputies while they were trying to arrest him before later surrendering, police said.
What's particularly maddening about this is that Razo was arrested on July 7 – 20 days before his heinous crime spree – and federal law enforcement was alerted to Razo's status as an illegal immigrant. They did nothing about it, allowing Razo to roam free.
5. A Russian national who overstayed his visa murdered his ex-girlfriend. In July 2015, Igor Zubko was hit with a restraining order from his ex-girlfriend, Shayley Estes. Zubko was still able to break inside her Phoenix home, where he shot Estes multiple times. He was arrested before he was able to take a flight to San Francisco.
6. A 40-year-old illegal was convicted of rape and sodomy of two minors. The illegal, Michael Rodriguez Garcia, was sentenced to four life sentences as well as 10 years for enticing a child for purpose of performing sexual acts.
7. An illegal immigrant who was driving drunk killed two teenage girls in a car crash. The illegal, Alfredo Ramos, smashed the rear end of the car that Tessa Tranchant, 16, and Ali Kunhardt, were in as they were patiently waiting with their seatbelts on for the light to turn green at a Virginia Beach intersection. Both girls were killed by the crash. Ramos already had a DUI on his record as well as an arrest for public intoxication, yet he was not deported due to Virginia Beach's sanctuary city policy.